Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tasting: Bitter

Since I have a single bottle of bitter left I figured I'd write up some tasting notes. Made from the second runnings of the barley wine with a bit of extra amber malt and torrefied wheat thrown into the mash.

Amber with a small, slightly off-white foam. Perfectly bright - no yeast, no chill haze. Aroma is a soft malt and cherries and maybe a hint of Goldings. The right aromas and intensity to invite a big gulp. Sweet bit of toasty malt and enough bitterness for balance. Not a complex beer by any means, but that is the idea. Something light but with a pleasant flavor. Though it's not the best bitter I've ever had (that would be a Timothy Taylor Landlord on cask in London, which at a different pub was also the worst bitter I've ever had) but a competent beer.

Note that I brewed this beer with all the same equipment that I brew, ferment, and bottle sour beers with. There is no Brett and no lactic tang to be found any where.

No comments: